Through 2010 and 2011 I wrote a number of essays for ArtsHub and Culture360 on cultural policy issues in Australia and New Zealand. I have put these essays, plus a couple of others, together in one collection and organised them around four broad themes:
- Australasian cultural policies (ie in general);
- Analyses of the cultural sector and cultural policy issues;
- Arts councils, arts funding; and
- The cultural policy system.
Putting them together like this gives them a coherence lacking in their chronologically ordered online counterparts. If you do download the full document I hope you find them interesting and useful. Online versions of all the essays appear on this website.
The collection is downloadable as a single document: Cultural Policies Australasia (PDF 1.8MB). A full list of contents is below.
Section 1: Australasian cultural policies
- An introduction to Australian cultural policy
- An introduction to New Zealand cultural policy
Section 2: Analyses of the cultural sector and cultural policy issues
- Australia’s creative revolution
- Policies for boosting arts demand
- Modelling the economic impacts of cultural policies
- Measuring the economic impact of cultural policies
Section 3: Arts councils, arts funding
- In defence of the Australia Council
- Crowdsourcing government arts funding
- Estimating deadweight loss in arts funding
Section 4: The cultural policy system
- A poverty of inquiry
- Encouraging the academy